Research led by Dr. Suresh Alahari, Professor of Biochemistry at LSU Health New Orleans' Schools of Medicine and Graduate Studies, reports a combination of a novel small inhibitory molecule and an FDA-approved chemotherapy drug suppresses the growth of triple-negative breast cancer cells synergistically. The findings are published in the Nature journal, Oncogene,
Research led by Suresh Alahari, PhD, Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at LSU Health New Orleans School of Medicine, has shown for the first time that a tiny piece of RNA deregulates energy metabolism, an emerging hallmark of cancer. The finding identifies a new target for therapeutic intervention in breast cancer. The research is published in Molecular Cancer.
Research led by Suresh Alahari, PhD, Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans, has shown for the first time that a microRNA appears to play a major role in the development of invasive breast cancer and identified a gene that appears to inhibit invasive breast cancer. The research is published in the August21, 2009 issue of the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
1) Okpechi, S.C., Yousefi, H., Nguyen, K.,Alahari, N., Collins-Burow, B., Burow, M and Alahari, S. K. Role of Nischarin in the pathology of diseases: Aspecial emphasis on breast cancer (2022) Oncogene 41(8):1079-86.
2) Nguyen, TH., Dong, S., Lauterboeck, L.,Yousefi, H., Okpechi, SC., Yang, Q, and Alahari,S.K*. Nischarin deletion enhances ATP production; a study using a novel Nisch ∆5-6 knockout mouse model (2022) International Journal of Molecular Sciences 23 (3): 1374.
3) Yousefi, H., Fong, J., and Alahari, S.K. NR4A family genes: A comprehensive prognostic and gene expression profile analysis in breast cancer(2022) Frontiers in Oncology 12: 777824.
4) Nguyen, K., Yousefi, H., Cheng, T., Magrath,J., Hartono, AB., Hebert, K., Brock, CK., Wright, MK., Windsor, GO., Byrne,EB., Rivera, A., Okpechi, SC., Matossian, MD., Wathieu, H., Chabot, AB.,Elliot, S., Mondrinos, MJ., Lee, SB., Collins-Burow, B., Alahari, SK., Drewry, DH., and Burow, ME Expression of novel kinaseMAP3K19 in various cancers and survival correlations. (2022) Frontiers in Biosciences 17: 27(6): 196.
5) Yousefi, H., Delavar, MR., Piroozian F, Bagu, M., Nguyen, K., Cheng, T., Vittori, C., Worthylake, D, and Alahari, SK. Hippo Signaling pathway: A comprehensive gene expression profile analysis in breast cancer (2022) Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy 151: 113144.
6) Dong, S., Yousefi, H., Van Savage, I.,Matossian, M.D., Collins-Burow, B.M., Burow, M.E., and Alahari, S.K. Ceritinib is anovel triple negative breast cancer therapeutic (2022) Molecular Cancer 21(1): 138
7) Yousefi, H., Khosla, M., Lauterboeck, L.,Okpechi, SC., Worthylake, D., Garia, J., Zabaleta, J., Guidry, J., Zarandi,MA., Wyczechowska, D., Jayawickramarajah, J., Yang, Q., Kissil, J., Alahari,SK. A combination of novel NSC small molecule inhibitor along with doxorubicin inhibits proliferation of triple negative breast cancer through metabolic reprogramming (2022) Oncogene 41(47): 5076-5091.
8) Drula, R., Pardini, B., Fu, X., Santos, MC.,El-Daly, SM., Fabris, L., Knutsen, E., Dragomir, MP., Bayraktar, R.., Li, Y.,Chen, M., Del Vecchio, F., Berland, L., Dae, J., Fan, D., Shimizu, M., Tran,AM., Barzi, M., Pioppini, C., Gutierz, AM., Ivan, C., Hall, CS., Alahari, S.K., Brnidan-Neagoe, I.,Fabbri, M., Lucci, A., Arun, B, Anfossi, S and Calin, GA. 17b-estradiol promotes extracellular vesicle release and their selective loading with let-7 miRNA family members in Era positive breast cancer cells (2023) PNASUSA (In Press).
9) Dong, S., Matossian, MD., Yousefi, H.,Khosla, M., Collins-Burow, B., Burow, ME and Alahari, SK. Targeting Mcl-1 by a small molecule NSC 260594 for triple-negative breast cancer therapy (2023) Scientific Reports (submitted; In revision).
Key Words: · MicroRNA, tumor suppressors, small molecules, breast cancer