Dr. Abdel-Mageed long-standing translational research interests focus on molecular determinants mechanisms underpinning prostate cancer progression, biomarker and therapeutic strategies for high-risk prostate cancer CRPC. To this end, one of his current research aims at understanding the role of tumor exosome-stem cell axis in priming castration-adapted’ tumors through “intracrine” production of androgens implicated in cancer health disparities. Recently, identification of biomarker signature for high-risk prostate cancer has been interrogated through an NGS-based liquid biopsy strategy. Finally, his lab examines the efficacy of lead exosome inhibitors(identified by high-throughput screening of human approved drugs) as re-purposed novel adjuvant therapeutic approach for advanced prostate cancer.
ORCID identifier: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8590-783X
MyNCBI Link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Asim+Abdel-mageed
- Das S; Extracellular RNA Communication Consortium, Ansel KM, Bitzer M, Breakefield XO, Charest A, Galas DJ, Gerstein MB, Gupta M, Milosavljevic A, McManus MT, Patel T, Raffai RL, Rozowsky J, Roth ME, Saugstad JA, Van Keuren-Jensen K, Weaver AM, Laurent LC, Abdel-Mageed AB, et al. The extracellular RNA communication consortium: Establishing foundational knowledge and technologies for extracellular RNA research. Cell (IF:66.85), 177(2):231-242, 2019. PMID: 30951667
- Datta A, Kim H, McGee L, Johnson AE, Talwar S, Marugan J, Southall N, Hu X, Lal M, Mondal D, Ferrer M, Abdel-Mageed AB. High-throughput screening identified selective inhibitors of exosome biogenesis and secretion: A drug repurposing strategy for advanced cancer. Sci Rep. 8(1):8161, 2018. PMID: 29802284
- Laurent, Abdel-Mageed, AB et al. Meeting report: Discussions and preliminary findings on Extracellular RNA measurement methods of laboratories in the NIH Extracellular RNA Communication Consortium. J Extracell Vesicles (IF=17.3). 2015 Aug 28; 4:26533. PMID: 26320937
- Yang, D. Jia, H. Kim, Z.Y. Abd Elmageed, A. Datta, R. Davis, S. Srivastav, K. Moroz, B.E. Crawford, K. Moparty, R. Thomas, R.S. Hudson, S. Ambs and A.B. Abdel-Mageed. Dysregulation of microRNA-212 promotes prostate tumorigenesis and castration resistance through hnRNPH1-mediated regulation of AR and its splice variant AR-V7: Implications for racial disparity of prostate cancer progression. Clin. Cancer Res (IF=13.8). Apr 1;22(7):1744-56. 2016. PMID: 26553749
- Zakaria Y. Abd Elmageed, Yijun Yang, Raju Thomas, Manish Ranjan, Debasis Mondal, Krzysztof Moroz, Zhide Fang, Bashir M. Rezk, Krishnarao Moparty, Suresh C. Sikka, Oliver Sartor, and Asim B. Abdel-Mageed. Neoplastic reprogramming of patient-derived adipose stem cells by prostate cancer cell-associated exosomes. Stem Cells (IP=5.8), 32:983–997, 2014. PMID: 23658372.
- Limin Ma, Yijun Yang, Suresh C. Sikka, Philip J. Kadowitz, Louis J. Ignarro, Asim B. Abdel-Mageed**, and Wayne J.G**. Hellstrom. Adipose tissue derived stem cell-seeded small intestinal submucosa for tunica albuginea grafting and reconstruction. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA (IF=12.78), 7;109(6):2090-5, 2012. PMID: 22308363 **joint senior author.
- W.JG Hellstrom, K. DeLay, and A.B. Abdel-Mageed. Can Adipose-Derived Stem Cells Be Used in the Treatment of Urethral Stricture Disease? Eur. Urol. (IF=24.3) 2016 May 27. pii: S0302-2838(16)30196-8. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo. PMID: 27240942, 05.027, 2016..
Keywords: prostatecancer, exosomes, repurposed drugs., stem cells, , oncogenic reprogramming,health disparities, steroid hormones
Link to lab website: https://medicine.tulane.edu/departments/tulane-cancer-center-urology-stem-cell-research-regenerative-med-pharmacology-adjunct