Position Title: Biospecimen Core Manager
Reports To: LCRC CAO and Core Directors
Department: Biospecimen Core
Acts in the capacity of laboratory manager and lead technician; actively participates in planning, management and oversight of the Biospecimen Core Laboratory/Biorepository. Assists in setting goals and develops and implements policies and procedures. Directly supervises lab technicians. The Louisiana Cancer Research (LCRC) Center’s Biospecimen Core Laboratory provides centralized services for the collection, processing, and distribution of biological specimens for LCRC researchers and collaborators. LCRC is a partnership of LSU Health in New Orleans, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, Xavier University and Ochsner Health.
· Oversees protocol specific specimen (Tissue/Blood) processing techniques to selected surgical cases to be collected daily for research protocols
· Develops and distributes weekly plan and schedule for technicians with collections, processing, and assignments
· Identifies potential donors (includes checking clinics, charts and operating room schedules)
· Communicates with surgeons, pathologists, and operating rooms staff to establish collection processes
· Manages specimen delivery, processing, and physical and data storage
· Provides quality assurance of all specimens
Assists technicians in consenting patients and collections
· Complies with research protocol tissue requirements and accepts only suitable specimens for processing
· Coordinates new protocol reviews by the Tissue Utilization Review Committee (TURC).
· Acts as a resource to LCRC members; in consultation with Core Directors
· Provides guidance and oversight of the release of tissues for clinical trials protocols and basic research protocols.
· Provides training, supervision, and serves as mentor to staff technicians
· Participates in performing annual reviews of lab technicians
· Participates in the development and implementation of all policies and procedures within the Tissue Procurement & Biospecimen Core ensuring that tissue policies are up to date and compliant with institutional, local, state, and federal regulations (i.e., IRB approved, and HIPAA compliant)
· Plays a key role in the development, implementation, and maintaining of data tracking methods within the Core Facility
· In conjunction with the Core Directors and LCRC CFO, is responsible for the development and daily oversight of Core’s operating budget as well as the Core usage logs and subsequent usage reports.
· Coordinates process of QC/QA for specimens and develops random audit procedures
· Assists with the development and maintenance of the disaster preparedness and recovery plan for the Core
· Ensures employee compliance with HIPPA, IRB, and CITI regulations as pertaining to specific research protocols
Bachelor’s Degree in biological sciences or equivalent, five (5) years of related experience, with at least two (2) years at a supervisory level
1. Bachelor’s Degree with six years of directly related experience including experience in QA/QC and developing and implementing documentation such as standard operating procedures (SOPs), or
2. Master’s Degree in a related field with a minimum of three (3) years of related experience
1. Master’s Degree in a biological science or equivalent
2. Successful completion of the following coursework:
a. Microbiology and associated labs
b. Anatomy and Physiology and associated labs
c. Cell Biology
d. Genetics/Molecular Biology and associated labs
3. Supervisory experience in a medical or basic research laboratory or hospital environment.
- Ability to conduct biological research experiments and analysis using scientific methods and techniques.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and exhibits effective verbal and written communication skills; can communicate with various individuals including medical and research staff, patients, scientists, administrators, and others.
- Familiar with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and databases.
- Familiar with sterile techniques, scientific calculations, and Good Laboratory Practices.
- Participate and contribute to assembly and maintenance of SOP/GLPs.
- Familiarity with new emerging technologies in related fields.
- Ability to multi-task and keep excellent records.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently.