We are currently considering candidates for the following position. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Title: Biospecimen Core Manager
The Biospecimen Core Lab Manager is responsible for the overall supervision of the core within a highly collaborative research environment. Provides leadership to all areas of the core, to deliver high quality tissues and data annotation in compliance with institutional, state and federal regulations. Broad responsibilities of the incumbent will entail collection management, data management, administration and advisory; and supervision and training. The incumbent will set goals, develop, update and implement policies and procedures based on “best practices”
- Identifies and applies protocol specific specimens (Tissue/Blood) processing techniques to the selected surgical cases to be collected daily for research protocols
- To engage in special projects leveraging the Core to advance investigators’ science
- Participates on the Tissue Utilization Review Committee (TURC) by providing data and keeping committee members aware of relevant details and issues.
- Acts as a resource to LCRC researchers and affiliates, while providing guidance and oversight of the release of tissues for basic research and clinical trials protocols
- Sets goals and provides training, supervision, and guidance to the core staff; and also performs performance reviews.
- Plays a key role in the development, implementation and maintenance of data tracking methods and/or biobanking solutions within the Core Facility
- Activates collection sites, by evaluating and facilitating memos of understanding and business associate agreements as needed.
- High level of communication with surgeons/clinicians to assure they are in compliance with core regulations (i.e. IRB,HIPAA and CITI compliant).
- With input from the Core’s Scientific Advisors, supervises the development and implementation of standard operating procedures.
- Works with the Core’s Scientific Advisors to develop best practices resulting in streamlined processes and efficient use of resources.
- Actively participates in the implementation and incorporation of new services and cutting edge technologies within the core.
- Prepares, manages and adheres to Biospecimen Core’s annual budgets and assists in developing and updating fee schedules for cost recovery.
- Participates in the implementation and management of QA/QC processes for specimens; and develops random audit procedures.
- Works with LCRC Environmental Health and Safety staff to develop, implement, and maintain disaster preparedness and recovery plans for the Core.
- Observes, enforces, and ensures application of General Safety Guidelines, including general laboratory safety rules and guidelines outlined in Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations.
- Ensures compliance with HIPPA and human subject regulations pertaining to specific collection protocols and hospital policies.
- Serves as the LCRC’s Human Research Protections administrator.
- Anticipates and troubleshoots atypical cases and develops approaches to troubleshoot sample processing these cases to ensure proper sample collection.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Master’s Degree in a related field with at least five years of related experience with a minimum of two years at a supervisory/management level.
- Doctoral Degree with a major in life sciences (chemistry, biochemistry, biology, medical technology or related field); post-graduate training and experience required ; or,
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of seven years of related experience, with a minimum of three years managing a biospecimen or analogous scientific core.
- Minimum of two years of hands–on experience in Tissue Procurement, histopathology or Pathology related field preferred
- Ability to conduct biological research experiments and analysis using scientific methods and techniques
- Familiarity or experience with the implementation or maintenance of a research biobanking system or solutions
- Familiarity with Sterile Technique, scientific calculations, and Good Laboratory Practices
- Experience managing a biorepository or other laboratory environment utilizing human biologic specimens with knowledge of or training in biobanking best practices is highly preferred.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.